2.01.2011

Crystal Couture VIP/Media Preview

Weeks shy of the event I received about four or five invites containing a picturesque flyer on my inbox, by the third one, I had to rsvp. Crystal Couture is a convention-like event, celebrating fashion derived from DC, Maryland and Virginia, all possible by Crystal City Business Improvement District (BID). Given the fact that I had the opportunity to attend the two previous times, I wanted to experience it for a third one. This time the event was held at Crystal City shops in Arlington, Virginia. Once there, an image of an labyrinthine underground, mini mall with a variety of shops would come to mind. Just a few steps from the train, Crystal Couture VIP/Media Preview was held in a spacious, seemingly never ending room at first glance. I, along with my buddy Matt, checked in at the entrance, gave the name of my blog, and bing! I was in. I was determined to work the room. 

There was a long, black catwalk sprawled in the middle of it all, brightly illuminated by reflectors affixed to the ceiling, which was relatively low. Lighting is such a big part to any fashion related event to enable the press and buyers to see what's being presented. Also, there were vendors all of kinds, surrounding the runway. I wended backstage and found my fashion mother, Maggy Francois, producer of the show, assisting models getting dressed to hit the runway. As I walk around I saw,  Natalia Sanz, one of my fav designers here, furbishing her booth-like section with garbs of her upcoming collection. Before I even saw Natalia I noticed this shiny cropped jacket hanging on a rack, it had a nod to the 80's, but relatively modern for today. If that was a sign of things to come, I can't wait to witness what she's going to astonish us with this week. Not too far from Natalia, I met Etna Cavalcante, native from Brazil and owner of Toucan Boutique (She was on Vogue Brasil, enough said). While I was shuffling through the clothes, I found a gun-metal denim jacket for men, and a slew of lithe dresses and tops that would be a great addition to any girl's wardrobe for the upcoming summer. 


Right after I finished my brief conversation with Etna, my friend Nick Fulcher tapped me on my shoulder. He, along with three others, are unveiling their brand new line dubbed Capital Vices on Feb 1st. He showed me a sample he was wearing after the show, the tee was intriguing, to say the least. I'll drop more info after I see the whole collection. The jury is still out. Then, a clutch of models came out in tandem wearing a design from each representing designer and boutique participating in Crystal Couture. One of the standout dresses was a bright yellow silk charmeuse strapless gown by Tashia Senn. It was stunning on its own (see above), powered even more by the slim frame of her asian model, who by the way, are sooo in (see Givenchy new Haute Couture collection, Yes Ricardo). Another one that caught my eye was a spaghetti strap gown with a tiger's face on the front and a raccoon tail added on the train by Marcella Somuah, owner of Consignment Diva (she later told me the dress was by Roberto Cavalli). The dress was nonchalantly, yet gracefully worn by America's Next Top Model former contestant Bianca Chardei (see below). 


MEOW!!!


Kim Truong's dress was fabulous in its all dark decadence. You can't see it in the picture, but she used five different laces. I noticed while her model was posing atop a cube pedestal, the light revealed a lace with a dot print, and an overlay with a rose print. It sort of added another dimension to the dress, making it even more intriguing. Please, check out Kim's work here. One of the most talented people I know.  


Sam Mintah's strapless jersey dress was simple, fun and wearable. The almost microscopic lines wrapping the model's petite body came in shades of purple, grey, pink and black. The sensible frills on the front added for a much appealing, slimming appeal. 


Jasmine (on left) was one of my favs of the night. Her lengthy physique and charming looks, and fresh personality would be compatible to any young designer. I foresee big things coming her way in the near future










Natalia Sanz, one of few designers I respect, is also part of the whole shebang. Here she is with her model Nadia in a simple red shift. She's presenting her collection Thursday 3rd, Friday 4th and Saturday 5th. 


An intricate work of lace on a strapless column was one of the few eye feasts on the entire night



Carlos Reaves, self titled "the architect of fashion", gave us a small taste of what he's going to show Friday, February 4th. A one-sleeve shift with a bow on one shoulder and a belt with reflecting mirrors left plenty yearning for more. You may remember him from this post



The day after the preview I met Joe Maluso, president of Brand Of The Free, a line of environment friendly tees with a penchant for American iconography. The tongue-in-cheek model above dubbed "DC Delicious" features The Capitol dome building atop an ice cream cone, and The Washington Monument as a popsicle. If there is something more American than that. I don't know what it is. 


The same night I met model Roxanne Wright, a native from New York, that received news from the model casting call through a friend. I was enthralled with her accent. Lovely character. 


The jacket alone would make for amazing pictures, very Givenchy from two seasons ago. 


All photos exclusively for DELASTYLE by Matt Statler

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS RULES :) Soo cool!

Kris said...

Great post ... love the 4th, 8th, and 9th looks ... if you want to count lol

follow

www.kouturekitten.blogspot.com

for followback!

Jimmy De La Cruz said...

Thank you guys for the comments.

maphi bayolo said...

i love the lace dress its so stunning xoxo

Mark Anthony said...

Great coverage of the event!

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

Ahhhh such beautiful patterns. x hivennn