7.05.2009

One Day These Would Be Pouring Out My Mailbox

Maison Martin Margiela
Prada
Neil Barrett
Lanvin
Junya Watanabe Comme des Garcons Man
John Galliano
Dunhill
Dries Van Noten
Dior Homme
Comme des Garcons Homme Plus
Alexander McQueen Puma
I was intrigued when I saw a link on wallpaper.com on this topic. I have never seen fashion show invitations, neither I have received one, but these 2010 Men Spring/Summer show invitations do incite a somewhat envious feeling within me but at the same time it shocks me to see all that thought that goes into designing an invitation. I'm sure these invitations are important to the designers and houses that showcase their respective shows in Milan and Paris since it's the first glimpse editors, photographers, celebrities and all the attendees in general get to see before the actual show, so I guess first impressions do come into play in this case. I feel like in a way these pompous and laborious cards do play into factor when editors rate and review each show/collection after fashion week is over, since it's the only "souvenir" they retain from the show, besides all the runway photographs, of course. I personally like Galliano's, it purely simplifies his collection in a piece of paper, it has this simple letter-like impression at the front but then it folds out into various panels, each showing a different segment from the show as well as the influences and references. I once heard, the Prada show is one of the most difficult shows to get into, which is not surprisingly at all since Miuccia is one of the most influential tastemakers in the industry. In effect, her invitations do look very fresh, I love all the quotes it displays, the same way the venue of the show looks, I also like the fact that is black and white, perfect. Moreover, I'm in love with Martin Margiela's invitation, he always thinks outside the box, and her mysterious persona does reflect on the card. Another one that caught my attention was Lanvin's, I just love the small logo at the top with the crown next to it, very imperious, so hopefully one of those invitations will have my name printed on it in the future. 

No comments: